Monday, March 31, 2014

Dark Nights Then Sunrises

There is something we have yet to talk about! Something that I cannot even believe we've missed! It's something beautiful, and moving. I've converted upwards of three people to it. This something that I'm referring to is...the incredible story of Les Miserables! I know right!! How could I have not written about it yet?? In my eyes its just about the most applicable thing ever to a blog about finding happiness. I mean after all the title does translate basically into "the miserable people." But while heartache and tragedy does befall the characters of this story of miserable people, the overall message from Mousier Hugo is that "even the DARKEST night will end and the sun WILL rise!"

For all of you lovely people who read my post about Sister Spence last week, thank you for your kind comments, messages, and wishes of happiness that you sent me via blogger, Facebook, etc. I really felt your love and I want you to know that I am doing very happily. Because of Heavenly Father and a lot of prayer I was able to climb that specific mountain in my life. It was an experience of overcoming sadness that I hoped could help someone in anyway.

Everyone will experience these dark nights and sad mountains in life. It is normal and it is ok. Let me add to that, it is ok because there is an ending to our sorrows and heartaches. Whether in one day, two days, three years, or like many of the characters in Les Mis, in the coming life. The message it shares with me is one of hope, optimism, and trust in God.

Each character faces agonizing and unbearable hardships. Valjean deals with unfair treatment and poor circumstances, the which causes a haunted past that he can never escape. Fantine was an upstanding and virtuous woman who was left to the cruelest of desperation to provide for her child. Eponine experienced one of the hardest friend zone slams in history and dealt with the loneliness accompanied with it. And so on with all the characters of Les Mis, each experiencing their own dark nights of sorrow and unhappiness.

There comes a point for each of them, that they must each decide, will I fight or will I give up? I think of those moments, those epic moments, of these people on the edge of right or wrong, death or life. I can see the moments even now: Enjorlas at the barricade before the final battle. Valjean as he looks upon the man blamed for his crimes. Eponine between Marius and his impending death.
What courage and hope these characters had as they made their decisions! And for many of them, the sunrise happened in the life to come. That is the ultimate sunrise of hope, but I'm not saying it is the only one. We will have many sunrises in our life if we have the courage to have hope! Then we too will stand triumphantly on our once cruel and binding barricades, having now been overcome! We too will obtain peace and "freedom in the garden of The Lord."

Never give up the fight to endure to the end! Hold fast to hope. Doing so has helped me in the here and now to be happy. I have seen many a dark night overcome in my own life through hope and optimism. I know that I can overcome ANY dark night that I will face, even the DARKEST of nights, because of the hope I have in Jesus Christ, the light of the world, the Son of God. He has broken the chains of death and hell for each of us, and He did it because He loves us with an "everlasting love." That is the hope and light that we can hold onto, for it is a light that can never be put out!

My last thought about Les Mis, hope, love, dark nights, sun rises; are the beautiful words of Fantine and Eponine as they sing and lead Valjean into the next life, where he will have his final and eternal sunrise:

"Come to me where chains will never bind you
All your grief at last at last behind you
Lord in heaven look down on him in mercy
Forgive me all my trespasses and take me to your glory.
Take my hand and lead me to salvation
Take my love, for love is everlasting
And remember the truth that once was spoken:
To love another person is to see the face of God."

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment