Saturday, March 29, 2014

I Feel the Earth Move

Sister Moore and I camping out
So last night, as every single SoCalifornian knows, the earth was really shakin! At 9:10pm while making some mission related phone calls, my companion and I felt a thud against our apartment building that made us jump outta our skin! Then after that we were movin' and a swayin'! Our call was lost and we were able to really let out our exclamations (aka screaming, we are girls ok?!) We were pretty shocked and I personally was excited that we were experiencing a real life California earthquake!!

After the earthquake, waved past, our friend, Michelle, texted us all the information on the earthquake and that we should prepare for a possibly bigger after shock, so "grab your flashlights!" For a split second after I read the text Sister Moore and I just looked at each other and without saying a word we both just jumped up and started epic preparations!

We first grabbed our flashlights as instructed. Then we swung our emergency kits and jugs of water to the front door. We stuffed a backpack of what we felt were essentials (journal, family heirlooms, ipad, glasses, wallet, bread, spam etc.) We then changed our clothes to work clothes in case a HUGE earthquake hit and we would be doing disaster cleanup service. What if it gets hot? It's ok we will put shorts on underneath our sweats just in case. I put on my lucky reindeer socks, next shoes were on, and we were camped out by the door!

We had a few people check up on us to make sure we were ok, we told them we were and that we were prepared! Some might laugh at the level of our prepardess! The people who checked up on us sure did! And we even did a little bit too! After all, we had even decided to eat sandwhiches right then in case a full scale disaster did happen and it meant no real food for a while!


Alright so here it goes, I'm gonna do my thing and link up this earthquake story to being happy! There are things that we can do that bring us temporary happiness and there are things that bring us LASTING happiness.

Temporary happiness: getting into my rubber duckie robe, chillin', and hitting the hay. Lasting happiness: Being prepared with the supplies that will make me extremely happy in a disaster situation.

Temporary happiness: Going to a crazy party. Ya maybe going out and partying seems fun and cool, but how will you feel about it tomorrow or next week? Or even in 50 years? Or when there are heavy consequences that result from that partying? Lasting happiness: Seeking the virtueous and good in life! Making steady and consistent choices with a bigger picture in mind.

The consequences of those temporary "happinesses" could turn into heartbreaking and lasting misery. On the flip side, making steady and consistent choices has increased the peace and happiness I feel. Knowing that I'm in control, I make my decisions, and I control the road I walk. "I believe happiness comes from a clear conscience and from being without guile or deception. It comes from a knowledge and assurance, given by the Spirit, that the life we are pursuing accords with God's will and is acceptable to him."

So trade in those temporary good times for LASTING happiness! Think ahead, be prepared, and live happy! So that when that Earth moves under your feet or the skies are tumblin' down, you won't have to worry for one second, cause you got yo' happiness right by your side...just like our flashlights were right by ours!

"Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping commandments of God."

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment